GROUND RULES

We don't agree about everything and that's OK. What we do agree on is the need to carry on the discussion in a civil way.

Before you contribute to a discussion, familiarize yourself with logical fallacies. Ad hominem attacks will not be tolerated.

The goal here is for civil conversation so be nice; no profanity. Anyone who calls another person an idiot will be banned.

Lastly remember, when someone disagrees with your views it does not mean they like you less as a person. If you can't handle being disagreed with then go away.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians.



Can any article about some Christian doing something stupid be complete without this quote from Ghandi? "I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians. They are not like your Christ."

Today this quote is making its appearance on every online article covering the story of the Lutheran pastor who apologized for taking part in an interfaith service for the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting.

I’ve read four or five different articles on this topic, and each time someone comments “I like your Christ, but I do not like you Christians.”

Look, I share the sentiment here. I love the teachings of Jesus, I hate the way they have been misconstrued by masses of “pew potatoes” the world over. But we can’t criticize all of Christianity based on the actions of a few lunatics who get attention.


Just because one very conservative division of Lutheranism believes that participating in an interfaith event is the same thing as affirming that all religions equally lead to God (and heaven) doesn’t mean they all do.

Many Christians do believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to know God and get to heaven. Other Christians believe that Jesus showed us one way to know God, but other ways will also get you there in the end. Some Christians even believe that Jesus is another isha-devata (a favorite deity to worship).

The Westboro Baptist Church is no more representative of Christianity than the Unitarian Universalists are. Despite what some really outspoken fundamentalist would have us believe, there is not, nor has there ever been one universally agreed upon bedrock called “Christianity.” The various, sects and denominations are as varied as humanity itself.

There. I’ve done my good deed in defending this thing called Christianity.

I was outraged by this story, but I know it is not the view of every Christian. I hope that even those who believe Jesus is the only way to know God or get to heaven would see the value of interfaith dialogue and ceremonies like this where we can all come together as a human race joined in our sufferings, and not worry about the stupid divisions we’ve created.

But to Christians that believe Jesus is “the way, the truth and life” and that no one “comes to the father” but through Jesus I have this to say:

This quote comes from the Gospel of John, which is unlike the other three gospels in nearly every way. It is a very gnostic book. It is highly unlikely that anything recorded in John are records of actual events.

Despite what we have been led to believe, the disciples did not follow Jesus around worshiping him as God. They followed him around as a teacher, as a leader, as someone to strive to be like. They had no idea he was God. Go re-read the gospels with fresh eyes. I’ll wait.

Did you see that? Even when Jesus hints at things like the fact that he’ll be raised in three days, the disciples had no idea what the heck that meant. If everyone who knew Jesus knew he was the incarnation of God it wouldn’t have taken some 100 years to develop the theology that taught that Jesus was both God and man. Philosophers hammered at that idea for ages, it’s not spelled out as clearly as you now think.

You can feel certain about the truth of your faith because you live in an echo chamber where people who think just like you pat you on the back for thinking just like them, and then when you pray you get warm, tingly feelings. That’s not a firm foundation for rejecting the possibility that every non-Christian on the planet will roast in eternal hell fire, or even to assume that they’d be so much happier if they could just worship your God. They live in their own echo chambers and get their own warm tingly feelings.

When Jesus told his disciples to evangelize to the whole word, I don’t think he meant to do so by insulting them. The best way to convince non-Christians that Christianity is a good thing is by embodying the principles the faith espouses. Love, kindness, charity, patience. Love your neighbor, be kind to strangers, help foreigners. The best way to convince non-Christians that Ghandi was right and that Christians are nothing like Jesus is to scold each other for participating in interfaith events, by smugly declaring that you have the whole truth and nothing but the truth with no room for any misunderstanding.



1 comment:

  1. First, I really like your post, and what I am going to write below is simply taking your point a step further.

    I believe a better way to put Ghandi's quote is:

    "I like your Christ's message (Live in Love) and those who live your Christ's message, but I do not like those who proclaim to be followers of your Christ yet who do not live your Christ's message."

    Jesus would agree with the above statement as well. Jesus did not want to be worshiped. Jesus was a teacher, first and foremost, and as a teacher he simply wanted people to live his message of "living in love towards oneself and others" as Jesus knew this to be the only way to find true happiness, peace, joy, etc. or what "Heaven" figuratively represents.

    I believe the verse you noted above should be read in this way:
    John 14: 6, Jesus answered, "I (Living my message) am (is) the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me (living my message)."

    I feel John 14: 23-24 only reconfirms this as it states, "23Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me."


    Jesus would see Ghandi as a fellow teacher who spoke the truth as well. Jesus wouldn't separate himself from Ghandi. Jesus would want people to focus on his message and not simply "believing he rose from the dead" as Jesus states in the following two verses:

    Luke 6: (46-49) NIV
    46“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? 47I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and PUTS THEM INTO PRACTICE (lives Jesus’s message). 48He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock (a foundation of love). When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation (without a foundation of love; this person didn’t live Jesus’s message). The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction (spiritual destruction/emotional misery) was complete.”

    Matthew 7: (24-27) NIV
    24“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and PUTS THEM INTO PRACTICE (lives Jesus’s message) is like a wise man who built his house on the rock (built his foundation on love; not love in an emotional sense, but love in the sense of living in forgiveness, thankfulness (humbleness), and the many other characteristics that come from “Living in the Spirit”). 25The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock (it had its foundation built on love AKA Jesus’s message). 26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand (built his house on a foundation without love). 27The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”


    I enjoyed reading your post, and I feel our message is one in the same. Maybe we could link our blogs? Also, I'll recommend your blog to my 2,000+ Twitter followers (@DawkinsTruth) as well!

    ReplyDelete